Inmerse yourself in the fauna and the ﬂora of the Natural Park.
Discover the secrets of this recently created park, the Natural Park of Capçaleres del Ter i del Freser, located in the eastern Pyrenees in the region of Ripollès, and whose scenery contemplates the breathtaking sources of the Ter and Freser Rivers.
The Natural Park of Capçaleres del Ter i del Freser covers an area of 14,750 hectares, between 1,280 meters and 3,000 meters of altitude. In this sense, the highest point is at the summit of Puigmal at 2,913 meters, followed by Bastiments peak at 2,881 meters, Noufonts 2,861 meters, Segre 2,848 meters and Freser 2,835 meters. In spite of the presence of such high peaks, glacier modeling has given rise to a soft, rounded relief, where high plateaus, circuses and open valleys abound.
The fauna in this area is typical of the Pyrenean mountains, among vertebrates the birds are of particular interest, and in reference to mammals the chamois is undoubtedly the most abundant and characteristic animal of the area.
BEAR IN MIND
Languages: Catalan, spanish, english
Material: Sport clothes and footwear
Season: April to October
Starting Point: Sant Joan de les Abadesses
WHAT CAN I DO
Different itineraries are offered through the most unique spaces of the natural park, accompanied by a guide who knows the territory. These are half-day trips (maximum 4 hours) and with the possibility of including a picnic or lunch at a restaurant, always based on local products and “ripolles” cuisine. There is also the possibility of completing the day with a visit to a farm or producer of local products.
These activities are aimed at people of all ages, although in some cases the level of difficulty of the trails where the activity takes place requires a minimum preparation.
Some of these itineraries are:
• High mountain fauna and flora: Discover Pyrenean landscapes and observe the fauna that inhabits them.
• The Freser Gorges: Walk and accompany the Freser River in its wildest part, where its passage has carved the rock forming narrow passages, gorges and waterfalls.
• The sources of Ritort: Discover one of the most unknown sources of the Pyrenees, the Ritort River.
• The viewpoint of the “capçaleres” (births): Ascension to the Balandrau mountain (2,584 meters) with spectacular views of the Capçaleres del Ter i del Freser Natural Park.
• Traces in the snow: A tour that will allow us to see and identify different animal tracks.
• Ter – Ulldeter Source: Itinerary that runs through forests of black pine and high mountain pastures all the way to the source of the Ter.
• “Estany de Bacivers”: Walk along the chain of “Pic de la Dona”, and enjoy the spectacular views over the two Pyrenean slopes.